Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Check it Out: I-The Indian Experience


Some of my favorite meals have been the ones that I least expected. While anticipation is nice, it can even come close to the feeling of excitement that you enjoy after a particularly satisfying surprise. Yesterday I had that distinct pleasure when a friend of mine introduced me to I-The Indian Experience.

Located in Foggy Bottom just off the intersection of 16th and L Street, you enter into the restaurant beneath a vibrant magenta awning before immediately descending down a precipitous flight of stairs to the dining room below. As I had never before had the pleasure of dining there, my surprise at the cavernous subterranean scene which greeted me was matched only by that at the dimly-lit, wood-paneled, almost surreal vibe the place gave off. Almost as if i had somehow stepped back into some 1920's speakeasy or something.

The ambiance aside though, we had gone there there to eat, and the entire walk there had been spent listening to my friend enumerating the many virtues of The Indian Experience lunch buffet; Its 12 bucks. Its delicious. Some of the best i've had. Its all you can eat. Did I mention that its just $12? Suffice it to say I was a tad wary, sure it sounded great, but there had to be some sort of a catch. There isn't. Its every bit as great as it sounds, and if you even remotely like Indian food you owe it to yourself to go. Served every weekday from 11:30 until 2:30, the buffet features about six or seven different dishes of various curried and chili varieties with all rice and naan you might need to chow down how ever you may see fit. There is a dinner buffet too from 6:00 until 9:00 every weeknight as well, and though i have not yet sat for it, I can only assume that its every bit as good as the lunch one.

This place is great, between the food and setting i just dig it, and Im sure you will too. Just remember to bring your appetite because you better believe you're going to need it.

No comments: